Today world runs on the Internet, which is a global network connecting millions of computers that use the standard Internet protocol suite often called TCP or IP to serve billions of users worldwide. More than 100 countries are linked into exchanges of data, news and opinions and much more. Nowadays, life without Internet is unimaginable. But, there are some malicious or inappropriate or insecure websites prevailing on the Internet, which is not appropriate for all the users, it can distract you from work or can crash your system. You can block such types of website or you can completely remove it from your browser to protect the system from virus, spyware or hackers.
To block the inappropriate website in chrome or remove the unwanted websites from the browser, which you don’t want to be visible on your computer, then you need to follow the steps discussed below in this tutorial.
Block Website in Chrome Browser
Google Chrome allows the user to blocks a large number of hazardous websites, but it has limitation in blocking some particular sites. However, Windows allows the changes in a simpler way. Follow the instructions below to block a website on Google chrome.
- Click on “Start” and type C:WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc in the Search field at the bottom of the Start menu
- Right-click on the “hosts” file and select “Open”. Choose “Notepad” as the program you wish to use to open the file, and click “OK”
- At the bottom of the document, type 127.0.0.1 followed by at least one space, followed by the URL of the website you want to block. For example, if you wanted to block “bing.com” you would enter “127.0.0.1 bing.com”. Do not put either “http:” or “www” in front of the names of websites you wish to block; doing so will result in the site not being blocked. You are blocking the entire site regardless of protocol.
- Save the document and restart your computer. On attempting to visit the site you blocked in Chrome or any other browser it will result in an error message.
Block Website in Firefox Browser
In Mozilla Firefox you can easily block a website by using a free, third-party add-on called BlockSite. Add the sites which you want to block in the “blacklist” of BlockSite extension. You can also unblock the website from here itself. BlockSite also has a “password protection” feature that helps in preventing unwanted changes to BlockSite by others. Follow the steps given below to block a website on Mozilla firefox.
- Open Firefox; click “Tools” then “Add-ons.” Click “Get Add-ons” and then “Browse All Add-ons.” Type “blocksite” in the search bar after the Mozilla Firefox add-ons website opens and press “Enter”
- Click the “Add to Firefox” button next to the entry for BlockSite. Allow the add-on to load not more than 5 seconds, and then click the “Install Now” button. Restart Firefox when prompted
- Go to “Tools,” then “Add-ons,” then click the Extension tab. Click on BlockSite options to open “Blocksite Preferences” window after Firefox restarts. Make sure the “Blacklist” radio button is ticked, as well as “Enable BlockSite,” “Enable warning messages” and “Enable link removal”
- Check “Enable authentication,” then enter a password if you would like to keep other users from deleting blocked websites or changing the settings in BlockSite without your permission
- Click the “Add” button, enter the URL of the website you would like to block, and then click “OK.” Repeat to add more sites, or click the “Clear” button to delete the list. Once you have listed all the blocked sites, click “OK” and restart Firefox.
Block Website in Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the “Tools” menu at the top of the window
- Select “Internet Options” from the drop-down list
- Click on the “Content” tab in that window
- Click “Enable” in the content advisor box, and then click the “Approved Sites” tab in the window that opens
- Type in the address of the site you wish to block, click “Never” and select “OK”
- Navigate to the “General” tab where you can set up a password and hint that will allow you access to the restricted sites. Restart the IE upon completion.
The above-mentioned procedures will help you removing or block the websites which you don’t desire to visit.